July 14th, 2009
I have had no end of bother with my electronic bits and pieces. The soldering didn’t work so I ordered some air dry clay and moulded one dome to do as a test. I plunged the electronics through and positioned them the way I wanted them and then left it to dry out over night, hoping that the clay would shrink slightly and hold the electronics in place. The results were far from satisfactory so it was back to sitting and thinking.
I decided to order some Epoxy Glue from CooksonGold and was just going to glue the electronics in place, but thought it would end up being very messy. So the air dry clay dome was pulled out of the bin and put to use again. With that in place and all the electronics sticking through, I pasted the glue on top to hold them all in place and left that to set overnight.
In the morning… success!
Today I set to work on the brooch backs – using silver tube I soldered on the bit that will hold the brooch pin in place and then also soldered on some silver wire that I will shape into a hook.
It was then a matter of sanding, burnishing, finishing and then setting the dome in place to finish it all off. Really pleased with the results. I’m going to call it ‘The Recapacitator’.
Not got the time or energy to finish the other two in time for the project deadline, so will finish these off over the next few weeks.
Posted in Work In Progress |