July 20th, 2009
Colin has been insulating the loft and fixing leaks in the roof recently and in the process has unearthed a few treasures. Firstly a roll of really old wallpaper with wacky flowers on it – very bright and bold and possible material for envelopes and notebook covers. Secondly a whole box of jam jars. These are lovely and from the 70′s by the looks of the newspaper I found in the box as well.
So now I have vintage jam jars and I want to use them to house my collection of vintage buttons.
They were used for jam making as one of the jars had a label on it saying ‘Strawberry & Gooseberry’ which I’ve managed to soak off and keep. They’re all the same size and the only thing they’re lacking is lids. I’ve given them a good scrub and dried them and now just want to fill them all up with buttons. I want to put up a shelf in my studio along one wall to house all my jars of buttons and these would look great as they’re all the same size [I love that!]. I’ve measured the rims and they’re diameter is about 59mm. I’ve found a couple of lids from other jars that fit them, but not enough. These measure 65mm.
So I had a look online to see if I could buy jam jar lids in packs and found that you can, but the standard size is 63mm – not sure what this relates to – the outer diameter of the lid or the diameter of the rim of the jar. So looks like I’m going to be lidless for a while.
As for the wallpaper – my camera has run out of juice, so just waiting for the battery to recharge and I’ll post some images of that up.
Posted in Life in Kinghorn |