Paper Decorations made from Envelopes

Paper Wreath

I found this tutorial online a while ago on the Domesticali Blog and have kept it on the back burner for ages. I thought I would give it a go this week as I thought it would be nice to sell some Festive Decorations at my up and coming craft fairs and these would compliment my Paper Garlands very well.

They’re easy to make and the online tutorial is easy to follow – so why not give it a go – I did and here are the results.

I’ve chosen to make these all from envelopes with interesting security patterns as I have so many of them thanks to the regular donations from Margaret and Colin’s mum. They’re a little tricky to make initially, but I soon got used to what I had to do and it got easier and easier.

I’ve still got to add thread, but I do have a huge reel of thin blue ribbon that I discovered in a charity shop ages ago and I might use that.

They do take a while to make though as you need to cut all the strips out first, then do all the folding and then construct them, so still pondering over the price, but I think I will sell them in packs of 5 or 10 rather than individually.

11 thoughts on “Paper Decorations made from Envelopes

1. Danielle says:

I love these and have also become addicted to making them as I see you are! As well as using envelopes, I’ve used junkmail, magazines and old maps. You might like to try a hanging made from three of different sizes all linked with fishing line. The person who taught me staples her together so they don’t fall apart but I don’t like the look of the staples. I tried spraying with varnish but that’s a bit pricey. Just wondered if you use any glue or anything to secure yours? Crafty good wishes, Danielle

2. Milomade says:

No I’ve not used any glue as I couldn’t figure out how to get it ‘in there’ if you know what I mean. I’m relying on them just staying together because of the rigidity of the paper. I’ve just made a batch from sheet music and they look really lovely too.

3. Linda says:

Wow – thanks a lot for sharing! I have been looking around for nice and easy to make origami stars for a while now (and have a whole bag full of discarded try-only-once-stars by now) and your wreath look exactly what I have been looking for. …. looking forward to a weekend turning my paper scraps that are just too beautiful to be thrown away into something beautiful! Have a great day and thanks again Linda

4. Katherine Lee says:

Hi: Found your website through a search for security paper craft, and really loved the wreath project. I’ve done a bunch using excess photographs, cut to 3″ x 6″, and the heavyweight photo paper makes a really good texture. And for thrift, I wove the extra inch into album covers, gluing the weaving onto paper bag. Much fun, and many people would enjoy the project. I’ll send photo if you like. SIncerely, Katherine Lee

5. Reb says:

i had never thought to use the inside of envelopes – what a great idea. I’ve just now started saving them. I use a toothpick and put a tiny amount of glue (from a glue stick) on the toothpick and put the glue inside one of the folds.

6. Carina says:

Thanks for sharing, I have only recently paid attention to the gorgeous little designs on the inside of envelopes. I love origami so will definitely have to try this.

7. Sue says:

Would love to make these in different sizes but not sure how to go about working out how to alter the measurements… Have you tried?

Comments are closed.