Today, whilst clearing stuff out of what is soon to be Milo’s room, I rediscovered two chairs I bought from a charity shop in Edinburgh during a summer visit to the city. I pulled them out and rather than just stacking them out ofthe way, I decided to start refurbishing the seats, as was my intention when I first bought them.
I found this fabulous fabric in a charity shop a while ago and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to use it for these chairs.
It’s a bit thin, so I’m thinking of using a plain white fabric to hold the cushioning material in place and to act as a backing and I might make two removable covers out of the patterned fabric – going to see how it goes.
This kind of chair revamp isn’t a difficult job, it’s just a little time consuming as there’s a lot you have to ‘undo’ before you can ‘do’. Colin thankfully treated the chairs for woodworm when we got them, so all they need now is a really good clean. I’m not going to re-varnish them or strip back what’s already there as I like the way they look as they are.
The old fabric and cushion padding was ripped out a long time ago, but all the original nails are still in place, so today I’m going to pull all of these out and clean up the seats before attempting anything else.
I’m not going to be buying new cushion padding as I’ve still got bags full of padding material I saved from the futon mattress Colin and I used to sleep on when we lived in Edinburgh. I used it to make a dog bed and a load of cushions for our sofa and the rest has been insulating the bath for years and I’m glad I’ve got a new project to use some of it again.
Once the chairs are all done I’ll post up some images for you to see. In the meantime here’s the after shot of the image above after having painstakingly removeing all the old nails – it took AGES!
I’ve got another one to do – oh bother! Better get on with it!