Hello again – remember me? Well it’s now February and I’m quite glad to be honest – January was rubbish and I’m happy to put it behind me and get on with the rest of the year. But I’m now entering stressville and this next couple of months is going to be hectic so I apologise now if blogging gets shoved to the bottom of the pile.
I don’t blog very much anymore anyway as I now use Instagram far more, but I have no intention of shutting this blog down and hope to just keep it ticking along with a few posts each month.
I’ll be in Harrogate in April again this year for my third round at the British Craft Trade Fair and I’m really looking forward to this year. I’m trying a new approach and hoping this new direction will take my business where I want it to go.
I’ve decided that I’m only going to be showcasing my jewellery this year and focusing mainly on the three collections I make from antique silverware spoons. This is what I’m best known for so why not use that to my advantage?
At the past two shows I’ve tried to cram in the 4 facets of my business – Jewellery, Stationery, Accessories and Decorations and showcase everything at once and although I love all aspects of the work I do, I now realise that trying to market them all at once is a big mistake. Looking back at photos of my stand from the previous two years, I find it very overwhelming and even though at the time I felt the ‘recycling’ aspect held everything together, I think instead it came across as confusing for buyers and there was nothing to hold their focus and there was nothing dramatic to draw them in.
I hate being pigeonholed, but over the years I have found myself concentrating mostly on making jewellery and it’s the main part of my business that I now want to concentrate on. I love making jewellery and so this is what I’m going to focus on for BCTF this year.
I’m keen to continue with everything else, but I think it’s best to keep the Stationery, Accessories and Decorations separate and showcase these at different trade shows.
So I’ve got February and March to get so much done, but mostly
- Finish making new pieces for my Echoes Collection
- Get everything hallmarked and show ready
- Take new photographs of the three jewellery collections I have
- Edit photos
- Create a new catalogue and get it printed
- Get A2 prints made and mounted of the three collections as well as images of me at work
- Add new pieces to my online retail shop and my online wholesale shop
- Update the wholesale section of my website
- Sort out new packaing for my jewellery
- Create three new jewellery display stands from old drawers
- Send out invites for the show to shops, galleries and museums
- Make a gazillion business cards
And probably a million other things I can’t remember right now. So I’m entering stressville and hoping I’ll be able to cope. I know what I have to do, I just don’t know if I’ve got time to do it all.
Wish me luck!